Almond Cupcakes Recipe
For 12 cupcakes
- 440 ml (1 3/4 cups) sifted flour
- 1/2 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) vanilla-flavored almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) + 3 tbsp. sugar
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 12 small balls of almond paste
- 2 1/2 tbsp. water
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1/2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- sugar or honey almonds
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C). Place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine almond milk, vanilla and almond extract. In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter until creamy.
- Add the first part of the sugar and beat on high until fluffy. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the almond milk mixture, and beating on low after each addition. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the bowl of the standing mixer.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3 tbsp. sugar, beating on high speed, until peaks are stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into cake mixture in the large bowl. Then fold in the remaining egg white mixture until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner halfway with batter and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and lightly place prepared almond paste (half teaspoonfuls rolled into balls) atop each cupcake, centered.
- Top with batter so the liner is 2/3-3/4 full. Bake until a tester comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together all ingredients except vanilla in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Set the bowl in a wide, deep skillet filled with about 1 inch (2.5 cm) of simmering water.
- Beat the whites with a handheld mixer on low until the mixture reaches 140° F (60° C). Do not stop beating while the bowl is in the skillet. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Remove the bowl from the skillet and add vanilla extract.
- Beat on high for 2-3 more minutes to cool.
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with almonds. Serve.
Our thanks to the Almond Board of California for making this feature possible.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips