Soaking time: 12 hours
Cooking time: 8 hours
We sampled these baked beans with duck at the Guay Bakery in Pointe-du-Lac, Québec. Marlene explains that the cooking time at the bakery is very long and takes place in several steps: this makes all the difference in color, taste and tenderness.
- Soak the beans in water for 12 hours.
- Cut the duck into pieces.
- Place the beans and duck pieces into an oven-proof casserole or earthenware pot.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add a spoonful of dry mustard and the brown sugar.
- Add 3 liters of water, or enough to completely cover the beans.
- Cover and bake in a 125 °C / 250 °F oven for 8 hours. Check occasionally to ensure the beans are still covered with water.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Hints & Tips