Preheat oven at 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Waiting time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour for fresh crab, otherwise 30 minutes
In Barbados, the small land crabs that proliferate in the islands are used for this recipe, but you could also use frozen, canned or even imitation crabmeat.
To replace the crab shells that are traditionally used as cooking and serving vessels, use mussel or scallop shells, or stuff the mixture into mushroom caps.
- Clean the crabs; place them into a large pot and cover with cold water; boil for 30 minutes;
- cool the crabs in cold water; shell them and remove the meat; clean the shells to use for serving;
- sauté the onion and garlic in the oil; add the flaked crab; season with salt and pepper; cook for about 5 minutes;
- add the shallot, lemon juice, hot sauce, half the bread crumbs and 1 tbsp. butter;
- combine well; let cool for 10 minutes;
- fill the shells with this mixture; combine the remaining bread crumbs and butter and place on top of the crab mixture;
- place into a 180 °C / 350 °F oven for 15-20 minutes;
- garnish the plate with strips of hot pepper and bunches of parsley.
Hints & Tips