Raw Beet and Hazelnut Salad Recipe
Total time: less than 15 minutes
Prep. time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking time: None
Note: To prevent staining your hands red while preparing this recipe, use thin latex gloves. That said, two or three successive hand washings will usually get rid of the color.
For 4 servings
- 2 red beets, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 2 Tbsp. hazelnut oil
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (grape seed, sunflower or peanut oil)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 heaping Tbsp. hazelnuts, shelled
- Peel the beets and cut into small dice or sticks.
- Prepare the dressing: in a bowl, add in order: the vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, and finally the oils. Whisk well, then dress the beets.
- Crush the hazelnuts with a mortar and pestle (or else place them in a plastic bag wrapped in a kitchen towel and pound them with a rolling pin or small mallet - not too hard, because you don't want them pulverized). Toast them for a few moments in an unoiled skillet.
- Sprinkle the beet salad with the still warm hazelnuts for an enjoyable contrast of temperatures and textures!
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips