Preparation time: A few minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Every pastry chef brings his own special touch to nougat. Jean-Charles Lafitau uses lavender honey.
Depending on the color of the honey used, the nougat can vary in color from light red to dark black.
- Toast the raw almonds in a 200° C (400° F) oven.
- Prepare a caramel in a dry pan over low heat - simply cook the sugar in a non-stick skillet until lightly golden. The sugar should be added in 3 or 4 additions, stirring constantly to obtain an even color without darkening too much.
- Add the warm honey.
- Cook to 154° C on a candy thermometer, still stirring over low heat.
- Add the toasted almonds - it is best if they are warm so that the sugar doesn't harden too quickly. Stir until thickened.
- Spread into a 1.5 cm thick mold on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Cut the nougat while still warm with a sharp knife.
- Wrap each piece of nougat in plastic wrap or store the nougat in an airtight container.
Hints & Tips