Blueberry Pie Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: About 45 minutes
For 1 – 25 cm (10”) pie
- Pastry for double crust pie, unbaked
- 900 g (2 lb.) blueberries
- 250 ml (1 cup) water, divided
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cup) sugar, divided
- 60 ml (4 tbsp.) cornstarch
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- Egg, for glazing
- Line a 25 cm (10”) pie plate with pastry.
- Bring 125 ml (1/2 cup) water and 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar to a boil, stirring so that the sugar is well dissolved.
- Whisk together the cornstarch with the remaining 125 ml (1/2 cup) cold water. Stir into the sugar syrup and cook until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the remaining 185 ml (3/4 cup) sugar into the mixture, along with the salt, lemon juice and cinnamon (if using).
- Fold in the blueberries and place into the pie shell. Cover with the top pastry crust, crimping the edges to seal well.
- Brush the top with egg wash (made by beating 1 egg with 1 tbsp. water.) Cut a vent in the top crust with a sharp knife.
- Bake in a preheated 200° C (400° F) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180° C (350° F) and continue baking until the pastry is cooked and lightly browned and the filling is bubbly, about 35 minutes.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips