Braised Pineapple "Martinique" Recipe
Flavors of the USA
Total time: less than 15 minutes
Ingredients for 6 servings
For the coconut sorbet
- Combine the coconut cream and milk in the bowl of an ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
For the pineapple
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 300° F. In a spice grinder, finely grind the allspice and pink peppercorns.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Add the kumquats and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt the butter in a small cast-iron pot over high heat. Add the pineapple pieces, brown sugar, ground spices, vanilla bean pods and seeds and cinnamon stick. Cook, stirring, until the pineapple is golden brown on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour in the rum and, holding the pan away from the heat, light the liquid with a match. Wait for the flame to burn out, then return the pan to the stove. Add the pineapple juice and bring to a simmer. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Serve warm with coconut sorbet.
From "Braise – A Journey through International Cuisine"
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips