Preheat the oven to 190° C. (375°F.)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Waiting time: 5 hours
Baking time: 15 + 15 minutes
Making the shortcakes
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale; mix in the flour and yeast and then the butter.
- Spread out into an even 1.5 cm (1/2") thick layer, and let rest for about 5 hours.
- Cut into 9 cm (3 1/2") diameter circles and bake the dough in ring molds of the same size in a preheated 190° C (375° F) oven for 15 minutes.
Making the cream
- Make the pastry cream (see below).
- Gently fold the Italian meringue into the cream.
- Pipe out 7 cm (3") disks of cream using a piping bag; place in the freezer.
Serve the shortcake with passionfruit sorbet or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Bring the cream and orange juice to a boil.
- Whisk the egg with the sugar until pale.
- Blend in the cornstarch.
- Once the liquid comes to a boil, pour it all at once into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom. Let the mixture thicken gently.
- Fold in the passion fruit purée. Set aside.
To prevent the pastry cream from forming a skin, place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface or coat the surface with some butter. Let cool. The pastry cream is now ready to use.
Hints & Tips