Calf's Liver with Basil and Balsamic Vinegar Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For 4 servings
- 2 thin slices of calf's liver or heifer's liver, 300 g (10 oz.) each
- a small bunch of basil
- 1 bunch of new onions
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- kitchen string
- Remove the stems from the new onions. Finely chop half the onions and halve the remaining ones. Place the chopped onions in a bowl. Chop the basil and add it to the bowl with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and combine.
- Lay the liver slices flat; season with salt and pepper. On each slice, spread half the onion-basil mixture (1). Roll the slices up into two little roasts and tie them with kitchen string.
- In a cocotte or Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add the liver and brown on each side for 2 minutes. Add the remaining new onions and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. At the end of that time, remove the liver from the pot and set aside.
- Deglaze the pot with the balsamic vinegar, scraping up the cooking juices with a wooden spoon; reduce over the heat for 3 minutes.
- Slice the liver roasts, pour the sauce over top and serve immediately.
More recipe ideas
Collaboration and photo: CIV
Hints & Tips