Unlike the thicker crème brûlée, Catalan cream does not have to be cooked in the oven.
To caramelize the cream, ideally use a torch.
Catalan cream is served cold. If you want to caramelize the cream under the broiler, put the ramekins into a shallow pan containing ice cubes so that the custard doesn't heat up.
- In a saucepan, gently heat 250 ml (1 cup) milk; infuse the vanilla bean and cinnamon stick.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar; blend in the cornstarch dissolved in 750 ml (3 cups) cold milk, and the zests.
- Pour into the hot milk. Heat gently, stirring briskly.
- When the mixture thickens, immediately remove the pan from the heat; remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
- Pour the cream into individual ramekins and let cool.
- Just before serving, caramelize with a torch or under the broiler (see chef's notes).
Photo : ID: 3135406
Hints & Tips