Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Freezing time: 12 hours
from Vincent Poussard for the AAPRA
- Roast the chestnuts on a plancha or over a wood fire.
- Prepare the syrup in a saucepan: boil the sugar and water for 4 minutes to the soft-ball stage (place a drop of the syrup in very cold water; it should form a ball.)
- Add the honey; bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, incorporating 1 tbsp. sugar.
- When the whites are firm, gradually add the hot syrup, beating constantly; you have to keep whisking the mixture for about 10 minutes until it has cooled completely (Italian meringue).
- Whip the cream; gently fold the meringue mixture and 60-80 g (2-3 oz.) of shelled crushed chestnuts into the cream.
- Pour the mixture into small semi-spherical molds and freeze for 12 hours.
- Place a half-ball of iced chestnut nougat into an ice cream cone.
- Into a cone made from your favorite newspaper, place the rest of the grilled chestnuts.
- Enjoy the chestnuts, alternating between hot and cold, soft and crisp, the sadness of finishing and the pleasure of starting again...
Collaboration: Association Aquitaine de Promotion Agroalimentaire (AAPRA) and the Union Interprofessionnelle Châtaigne Périgord Limousin, Midi-Pyrénées
Hints & Tips