Chocolate and Morello Cherry Cake Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hrPreheat the oven to 120° C (240° F)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Macerating time for the cherries: at least 15 minutes
Baking time: 40-45 minutes
Ingredients for a 25 cm (10
- 170 g (6 oz.) dark chocolate
- 30 g (1 oz.) grated Chocolate
- 250 g (9 oz.) pitted sour cherries (Cherry)
- 1 tbsp. kirsch
- 3 egg yolks + 3 egg whites
- 120 g (4 oz.) flour, about 1 cup
- 150 g (5 oz.) sugar
- 75 g (5 tbsp.) butter
- Macerate the cherries in the kirsch for at least 15 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of hot water. Stir until smooth.
- Off the heat, blend in the egg yolks, then the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon; finally add the drained cherries and grated chocolate.
- Beat the egg whites to firm peaks, gradually incorporating the sugar.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate batter, blending thoroughly and incorporating 1 tbsp. of the macerating liquid.
- Pour into a buttered mold; bake in a low oven (120° C / 240° F) for 40-45 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting the tip of a knife. Unmold while still warm.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips