Cod Marseille-Style Recipe
Flavors of Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur
Cooking time: None
Total time: less than 15 minutesPreparation time: A few minutes
Cooking time: None
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 500 g (18 oz.) salt Cod
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) Bintje potatoes
- 50 g (2 oz.) onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) light cream
- Bay leaf
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 2 leeks
- 1 celery root (celeriac)
- 2 large carrots
- 2 Rosevalt potatoes
- 200 g (7 oz.) green beans
- 1 beet
- 1 bunch of chives
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preparation - the day before
- The day before your meal, place the salt cod in water to draw out the salt, changing the water four times.
Preparing the vegetables
- Peel, wash and drain the vegetables.
- Cut the white parts of the leeks into 5 cm (2") strips; steam them and refresh in ice water; keep cold.
- Cut the celery root into 3 cm (1 1/2") cylinders. Cut the cylinders into 2 mm (1/16") slices.
- Cook these slices in salted water with a little lemon juice. Refresh and set aside.
- Proceed in the same way for the carrots.
- Slice the potatoes in the same way as the celery root.
- Spread the potato slices on a non-stick baking sheet and brush with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Place into a 150° C (300° F) oven and cook. Drain and set aside in a dry place.
- Cook the green beans in well-salted water; refresh.
- Liquefy the green beans with a little cold water to make a green juice. Season.
- Proceed in the same way with the beet to make a red juice.
Cooking the cod
- Place the desalted cod in cold water and milk with the bay leaf and thyme; poach.
- Meanwhile, prepare some creamy mashed potatoes.
- Drain the cod and flake it, removing any skin and bones.
- Chop the onions and garlic. Sweat in olive oil.
- Add the flaked cod and mix well. Blend in the mashed potatoes and stir in the olive oil.
- Correct the seasoning and add a touch of grated nutmeg.
- Prepare the lemon vinaigrette by combining the ingredients listed;
- Form the brandade (cod-potato mixture) into large quenelles by using two large spoons to create a football shape and place a quenelle in the center of each plate.
- All around place the carrots dressed with the vinaigrette and the potato slices.
- Top the brandade with the celery root dressed with vinaigrette.
- Dress the leeks and place them around the perimeter. Between, drizzle a spoonful of the green bean juice, then a spoonful of the beet juice, then an empty space.
- Finish with two bouquets of chives.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips