Chartreuse of aubergines with lamb Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1hour 30 + 20 minutes
Recipe suggested by Diane Flamand, Oenologist of the Collection range at Domaines Baron de Rothschild.
For 4 servings
- 4 medium aubergines / eggplants
- Olive oil
- 4 shallots
- 1 teaspoon blackcurrant jelly
- 1kg boned shoulder of lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 bouquet garni
- Salt and pepper
- 4 small fresh sage leaves
- Baste the shoulder of lamb with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and cinnamon. Place in the oven at 180°C / 350°F. Add a glass of water to the dish.
- After an hour, add the whole peeled shallots.
- Cook the lamb for 1 h 30 turning it and basting it regularly with its cooking liquid (add some water if necessary).
- Wash and dry the aubergines and cut them in slices of about 1 cm. Soften them without browning in olive oil, 3 minutes on each side, season them with salt and pepper and put them aside on absorbent paper.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and chop it roughly.
- Deglaze the cooking dish with a glass of water, reduce it by half, add the blackcurrant jelly and set aside.
- Line four soufflé moulds with overlapping slices of aubergine and a sage leaf, add a layer of cooked lamb, fold the aubergine slices towards the centre to enclose the lamb.
- Place in the oven at 150°C / 300°F for 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto warm serving plates and serve immediately.
Serve with a young Saga Pauillac - Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite)
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips