Preparation time: 15 mnutes
Cooking time: 30 + 10 minutes
Prepare the potatoes in advance and brown/reheat them for 10 minutes in the oven just before serving.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water.
- Drain and dry in a 200° C (400° F) oven for a few minutes.
- Put through a potato ricer or mash them without adding milk, otherwise they will not have enough body.
- Incorporate the egg yolks into the mashed potatoes.
- Then add the melted butter and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a round tip with the mixture.
- Pipe the potatoes out in a cone shape onto a buttered non-stick baking sheet, or one lined with parchment or silicone paper.
- Make the eyes with 2 little pieces of black olive, using another for the mouth. You can also use a thin round slice of a pitted olive to make a howling ghost.
These Duchesse potatoes add a festive touch to any dish. Shape them into stars for Christmas, or roses for Mother's Day.
Photo inspiration : Gourmet Magazine 1995. Recipe: MSCOMM.
Hints & Tips