Ittingen Style Chocolate Cake Recipe
Flavors of Switzerland
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
For 1 loaf pan (24 cm/10")
- 6 eggs, separated
- 200 g (7 oz.) softened butter
- 200 g (7 oz., about 1 cup) sugar
- 1/2 lemon, zest grated
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 250 g (9 oz.) coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- 200 g (7 oz.) ground hazelnuts
- 50 g (2 oz.) bread crumbs
- a pinch of salt
- Beat the egg yolks with the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Combine the chocolate, hazelnuts and bread crumbs. Whisk the egg whites and salt to stiff peaks. Alternate adding the two mixtures to the butter mixture, folding them in gently.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan that has been lined with parchment, buttered and floured. Bake for 50-60 minutes in a preheated 160° C (325° F) oven.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips