Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 12 + 12 minutes
Key West may be the birthplace of Key Lime pie, but a drive down the Florida Keys reveals that from Key Largo to Key West, restaurants, cafes and roadside diners have all created their own versions of the popular desert.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C / 350 °F.
- Mix the crackers, butter and sugar together. Press into a 23 cm / 9” pie dish. Bake for 12 minutes until the pie shell is golden.
- Meanwhile beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer until they lighten in color and thicken.
- Add the condensed milk and 1/2 of the lime juice, and whisk until combined. Add the remaining lime juice and the lime zest. Mix to combine thoroughly.
- Pour the lime mixture into the pie shell, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Whisk the whipping cream with sugar until it forms soft peaks. Garnish the lime pie with the cream and serve.
Hints & Tips