Whole Veal Kidneys with Herbs Recipe
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
For 4 servings
- 4 veal kidneys (or 1 kidney for 2 persons) with their fat
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- 10 sprigs of dill
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- White part of 1 leek
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 medium fennel bulbs
- 1 bunch of new carrots
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock (from concentrate)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Kitchen string
- Open up the kidneys lengthwise without separating the two halves completely, leaving the fat on. Remove the central fibrous section (you can ask a butcher to prepare them for you).
- Wash, dry, stem and chop the parsley and dill. Coarsely crush the fennel seeds. Fill the inside of the kidneys with the chopped herbs and fennel seeds. Close up and tie like a roast.
- Finely chop the leek white and green onions. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and add the leek and onion and unpeeled clove of garlic. Cook gently over low heat for 4-5 minutes, without browning.
- Preheat the oven to 210° C (425° F).
- Place the kidneys into the Dutch oven, cover and roast in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Peel the fennel and carrots, leaving on 3 cm (1 1/2") of stem. Wash the vegetables, halve lengthwise and steam for 10-15 minutes. When the kidneys are cooked, remove them from the pot and keep hot.
- Remove the excess fat, place the pot over high heat and caramelize lightly. Add the chicken broth and reduce by one-third at a rapid boil.
- Remove the garlic clove and purée the contents of the Dutch oven with an immersion blender.
- Remove the remaining fat from the kidneys, remove the string and place the kidneys on plates, surrounded by the vegetables and napped with sauce. Serve immediately.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips