This dish can be prepared in countless ways, simply by varying the fish, vegetables or fruits. It can be served warm or cold.
To simplify the sauce recipe, you could simply make a vinaigrette with olive oil, citrus vinegar, honey and a touch of powdered star anise.
If you don't like the texture of raw fish, steam the fish for a few minutes to tenderize it.
If you don't have a ring mold or cutter, use a small plastic container and cut out the bottom. You could also use a ramekin, in which case you would reverse the order of the layering, ending with the trout. Turn out onto a plate and garnish with mango.
Preparing the trout
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut the trout into 2 or 3 discs, depending on the size;
- heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat;
- sauté the trout circles for 30 seconds on each side. Set aside.
Preparing the fruits and vegetables
- finely dice the tomatoes and peppers; place in a small bowl or ramekin;
- finely dice the avocado and toss with lemon juice; place in a small bowl or ramekin;
- finely dice the mango and combine with the chopped garlic; place in a small bowl or ramekin;
- pour a few drops of olive oil and vinegar into each ramekin; season with salt and pepper.
- first place a circle of trout in the bottom of each ring mold or cookie cutter;
- add in layers: the avocado, tomato, pepper; cover with a circle of trout; end with the mango;
- gently remove the ring mold.
Acidulated jus (sauce)
- reduce the vinegar to two-thirds in a saucepan;
- add the veal stock and reduce again to two-thirds;
- blend in the honey and flavor with the star anise; infuse for 5 minutes and remove the star anise;
- pour the sauce around the layered trout; garnish with edible flowers and fresh herbs.
Hints & Tips