Maple Praline Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preheat the oven at 350° F (180° C)
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
For 8-10 servings
For the mashed ]sweet potatoes
- 2 kg (4 1/2 lb.) Sweet Potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) softened butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) dark rum
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 90 ml (6 tbsp.) softened butter
- 185 ml (3/4 cup) chopped pecans
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until you can pierce them easily with the tip of a knife. Drain and mash coarsely.
- Add the orange juice, maple syrup, 3 tbsp. butter, rum, salt, pepper and nutmeg to the sweet potatoes and combine.
- Place into a buttered baking dish and smooth the top.
- Combine the brown sugar, 6 tbsp. melted butter and pecans in a small bowl. Sprinkle the praline topping over the sweet potato mixture. Place into a preheated 350° F (180° C) oven for about 45 minutes until very hot and lightly browned.
- The casserole, except for the topping, can be prepared one day ahead of time and refrigerated. Sprinkle the praline topping on just before baking.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips