Cooking time: 5-6 minutes per frying batch
This is a mixed grill that generally includes veal brains, liver, sweetbreads and lungs. However, you could make it using only sweetbreads or sweetbreads and liver, depending on your preference and availability.
The vegetables are fried at the same time: e.g., cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, artichoke hearts.
Preparing the fried offal
- in a bowl, combine the flour, warm water, salt and olive oil just until blended without overmixing – though the batter can be used right away, ideally it should rest at room temperature for two hours;
- just before using the batter, beat the egg white to stiff peaks and gently fold into the batter;
- dip each piece of veal into the batter; place into hot oil and brown on both sides (about 5 minutes); remove to a baking dish and keep hot until everything has been cooked.
Preparing the vegetables
- slice the eggplants and zucchini, lay the slices flat and sprinkle with salt; ideally let sit for an hour to draw out the liquid;
- break the cauliflower up into bouquets.
Preparing the offal
- soak the sweetbreads in cold water for 1 hour, changing the water several times; poach the sweetbreads in boiling water for 10 minutes; drain and remove all filaments; dice;
- do the same for the brains;
- slice the liver into strips.
Hints & Tips