Prep. time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
As its name suggests, Éphémère Poire is an ephemeral ale that comes and goes with the seasons. It was developed as a series of features a seasonal fruit in a refreshing, lightly spiced white ale. The label depicts a fairy, an ephemeral spirit associated with fruits picked at the peak of ripeness during each harvest season. She first appeared in the spring of 2001 and has since been celebrated on a variety of seasonal fruit ales featuring apple, cranberry, blackcurrant, peach, raspberry ad cherry.
In 2015, Unibroue adds a new flavor to Éphémère portfolio offering beer lovers a pear version.
This recipe was inspired by a classic portuguese pastry. It can be kept in the fridge for a few days in an air-tight container. Be sure to remove from the fridge 15-20 minutes before eating so natas will be at their best.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a pan. Add the pears, the syrup, the beer and the nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until pears are soft and the liquid is almost completely reduced. Stir gently until well coated.
- Drain the pears and set aside.
- Lightly butter bottom and sides of a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Roll up the dough and form a cylinder ; cut into 12 slices.
- Roll each dough roll ; spread in the bottom and the sides (up to the rim) of each cup.
- Place the egg yolks into a bowl.
- In a small pot, dilute corn starch into milk. Add beer, sugar and vanilla. Heat at medium temperature for a few minutes, stirring often, until the mixture has thickened lightly and the sugar has completely dissolved. Keep a close eye on it as the consistency does not take long to change.
- Slowly combine 125 ml / ½ cup of the warm mik mixture (2) with the egg yolks (1), while whipping gently. The idea is to make the egg temperature rise without cooking them.
- Lower the heat and add the egg mixture (1) to the rest of the milk in the pot (2), whipping gently. Remove the vanilla pod and discard.
- Fill the muffin cups up to 1cm from the top of the dough (the mix with expand in the over and fall when it is taken out).
Finishing and cooking
- Spread the pears at the center of the mix (about 1 tsp. per cup). Bake for about 25 minutes or until the dough is golden.
- Take out of the oven and completely cool before unmoulding. Gently detach the sides with a knife before unmoulding. Let sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Éphémère Pear Beer
With the kind assistance of Unibroue and the photographer Samuel Joubert.
Hints & Tips