Upside Down Pear and Ginger Cake Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Baking time: About 1 hour
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) softened butter, divided
- 25 ml (2 tbsp.) sugar
- 4 pears
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 250 ml (1 cup) molasses
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) baking soda
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 750 ml (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Spread 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter in the bottom of a deep round cake pan; sprinkle with the sugar.
- Peel and halve the pears; core and seed them; arrange the pear halves in the cake pan, rounded side down.
- Cream the remaining butter with the brown sugar. Mix in the egg, then the molasses.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water; mix into the previous mixture.
- Combine all the dry ingredients. Gradually blend into the previous mixture without overmixing.
- Pour the batter over the pears. Bake in a 180° C (350° F) oven for 60 to 65 minutes. Let cool slightly; turn out onto a serving plate.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips