Preparaton time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Carolyn Puddicombe’s Creamy Pear Pie recipe was passed down to her by her husband Murray’s grandmother and has been enjoyed by family members for four generations. A traditional pie crust plays host to thinly sliced Bosc (or Bartlett) pears and a custard-like filling flavoured with hints of sweet almond.
- Pre-heat oven to 200˚C (400˚F).
- In large bowl, toss pears with sugar, flour and lemon zest and juice. Reserve 1 cup (250 mL) of pear mixture and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine sour cream with vanilla and almond extracts. Add to pear mixture, mix to coat. Pour into pie shell and top with reserved pears in a fan pattern.
- In small bowl, combine flour, butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle over pears.
- Place pie in pre-heated oven and bake at 200˚C (400˚F) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180˚C (350˚F) and bake for another 45 minutes or until pears are tender.
Enjoy with a cup of coffee or for wine enthusiasts, a glass of Niagara ice wine, Vin Santo or a sweet dessert wine.
PER SERVING (1/8th recipe): about 303 cal, 3 g pro, 12 g total fat (6 g sat fat), 48 g carb, 3 g fibre, 22 mg chol, 120 mg sodium. %RDI: 6% vitamin A, 13% vitamin C, 5% calcium, 9% iron.
Hints & Tips