Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F)
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-18 minutes per 500 g / lb.
It's important to take the ham out of the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before putting it in the oven; otherwise the meat will contract as it goes directly from cold to hot. If you forget or if you don't have time, place the ham into a cold oven and then turn it on to allow the meat to adjust more gradually to the temperature change.
This recipe takes its inspiration from the American south, so for side dishes a sweet potato casserole, green salad and buttermilk biscuits would be perfect.
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F). Insert a meat thermometer into the center of the ham without touching the bone. Place the ham in a roasting pan and pour the cider over top.
- Cook the ham in the oven, basting every 20-30 minutes for about 2 1/2 hours or until the thermometer reads 70°C (135 to 140°F.)
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the crust: pecans, mustard and brown sugar.
- 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the ham from the oven and cover it with the pecan crust. Return to the oven and continue cooking.
- Slice the ham and serve with the cooking juices. Don't strain them: the little bits of pecan crust that fall in are delicious!
Hints & Tips