Prep. time: A few minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes by frying bath
In Dominican Republic, the plantains are rubbed with garlic clove before they are sliced. The Dominicans called them platanitos.
Choose fairly green / ripe plantains for frying.
Serve the plantain chips with avocado sauce.
- Peel the plantains.
- Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the plantains (the thinner the better).
- Fill a large skillet with enough vegetable oil to completely cover the plantain chips. Heat the oil to 200°C / 400° F.
- Fry the plantains, turning occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes until golden on both sides. Don’t let them “burn” or turn brown. You will loose their delicate flavour.
- Drain on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Sprinkle immediately with sea salt.
Hints & Tips