Potato Gratin - Gratin dauphinois Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
Cooking time: 2 hours
This is a classic French recipe. If you add cheese, it's no more a gratin dauphinois but a good potato gratin.
For 4 servings
- 1 kg / 2 pounds yellow-fleshed Potatoes
- 500 ml / 2 cups milk
- 100 ml / 2/5 cup cream
- 60 g / 4 Tbsp. butter
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
- 1 clove of garlic
- Rub the clove of garlic splitted in half all over the surface of a gratin dish. Butter the dish.
- Peel and slice the potatoes to a width of 3mm/1⁄8in. Lay the slices on a clean tea towel and pat dry.
- Layer the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping the slices and sprinkling with a little salt, cinnamon and freshly ground pepper between each layer.
- Pour the milk over the potatoes - it has to cover 2/3 of the dish.
- Dot the top with butter.
- Cover with a buttered aluminium foil and bake for about one 90 minutes.
- Pour the cream and bake again, uncovered for 30 minutes or less, until golden.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips