Preheat the oven to broil
Preparation time: A few minutes
Cooking time: About 15 minutes
Like any frittata, this dish can be served immediately. However, if you prefer, you can cook it an hour ahead of time, let it cool in the pan and serve at room temperature.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet with an ovenproof handle.
- Add the peppers and onion. Cook gently for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Three minutes before the end, add the garlic (if you add it at the beginning, it risks browning and developing an unpleasant flavor).
- Add the potatoes and thyme and cook everything for a few minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs, salt and pepper; in another bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks; fold them gently into the egg yolks.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetables, stirring gently to combine well. Reduce the heat and cook the frittata, without stirring, until the eggs are cooked but still slightly runny (if the mixture is overcooked, it will dry out in the oven).
- Place the skillet with the frittata under the broiler and cook for 1-2 minutes until the top is lightly browned. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
Hints & Tips