Pumpkin and Orange Cake Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 + 20 minutes
For 12 servings
- 1.5 kg (3 lb.) pumpkin
- 200 g (7 oz.) candied orange peel
- 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 8 eggs
- 400 g (14 oz.) powdered sugar
- 2 unsprayed oranges
- 250 g (9 oz.) ground almonds
- 200 g (7 oz.) flour
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 packages of baking powder
- 40 g (8 tsp.) butter
- 80 g (3 oz.) melted butter
- 5 Tbsp. orange juice
- 180 g (6 oz.) icing sugar
- candied angelica
- red and yellow food coloring
- Finely dice the candied orange peel and place in a bowl with the orange juice. Macerate until needed.
- Peel and seed the pumpkin. Cut the flesh into small dice and place in a saucepan with 3 Tbsp. water.
- Cook over low heat for about 20 minutes until tender. Drain well and purée in a blender.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Generously butter three round cake pans (16, 20 and 24 cm / 6", 8", 10").
- Separate the egg yolks and whites. Place the yolks in a bowl with the powdered sugar and beat until pale and thick and the mixture forms a ribbon when dropped from the beater.
- Brush the oranges under hot water, dry them, then finely grate the zest and squeeze the juice. Mix into the egg yolk mixture with the pumpkin purée, followed by the powdered almonds.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder and sift into the batter. Mix again. Add the candied orange peel and juice and combine.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them gently into the batter.
- Divide the batter among the three prepared pans.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 50 minutes. The cake in the smallest pan will bake most quickly, so it is important to check the cakes for doneness, from smallest to largest, by inserting the tip of a knife, which should come out clean.
- Turn the cakes out of the pans while still hot onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Combine the hot melted butter, orange juice and icing sugar.
- Remove a small amount of icing and color it dark orange (using a mixture of red and yellow food coloring, using a little more red than yellow).
- Color the rest of the icing lighter orange (red and yellow food coloring in equal quantities).
- Stack the three cakes and pour on the light orange icing.
- Wait a few minutes, then draw a pumpkin on the top cake with the dark orange icing.
- Decorate with candied angelica cut int the shape of little leaves.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips