Rabbit with Dates and Apricots Gratinéed with Ancêtre Emmental Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Prep. time: 20 minutes
Maceration time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15
Serve with baby green and yellow beans sautéed in butter.
For 6--8 servings
- 11 soft dates, halved
- 12 dried apricots
- 125 ml / 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 rabbits, cut into pieces
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 French shallot, chopped
- 250 ml / 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. apricot jam
- 70 g / 1 cup grated Emmental (Ancêtre)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Soak the dates, apricots and thyme in the white white for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F). Dredge the pieces of rabbit in flour. Season with salt and pepper. In a large cocotte or Dutch oven, brown the rabbit pieces in butter. Add the shallot and continue cooking for several minutes.
- Add the broth and the mixture of dates, apricots and white wine (1). Cook for about 1 hour or until the rabbit is cooked.
- Remove the rabbit pieces from the pot and keep warm. Reduce the cooking juices by half, for about 5 minutes. Add the apricot jam and continue cooking for about 5 minutes longer until thickened.
- Return the rabbit pieces to the pot. Sprinkle with cheese; place under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
More recipe ideas
L'Ancêtre is the Canada's largest organic cheese maker
Photo & recipe: Our cheeses
Hints & Tips