Cooking time: Under 20 minutes
A regional recipe from Jeannot Desgagnés of La Roche Pleureuse in Charlevoix, Quebec.
"The trout pairs wonderfully with a rice-vegetable pilaf and fiddleheads."
The chef prefers a heavy cast iron skillet that can be used on the range top or in the oven.
- clean and dry the trout; dip the fillets in flour;
- melt the fat and butter in a skillet; brown the fillets for a few moments;
- drizzle with lemon juice; transfer to a moderate oven for 5 minutes;
- meanwhile, blanch the bacon bits in boiling water for a few seconds; drain on paper towel; brown in a skillet and remove the excess fat;
- add the shallots; once nicely colored, deglaze with water;
- add the jellied meat juices from a roast; thicken the sauce with flour dissolved in a little cold water;
- season to taste; remove the fish from the oven; pour the sauce over top and serve.
Hints & Tips