Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
You could serve this dish with a green salad.
You can make 4 potato cakes by using small individual skillets. The presentation is attractive and the cooking very quick.
Residents of Lake Constance prepare the dish without bacon, but add onions browned in butter, paprika and Tilsit.
- Peel the potatoes and grate them coarsely; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a skillet and add the potatoes. Form a flat cake with a spatula. Reduce the heat to medium once the potatoes begin to sizzle, then cook for 20-30 minutes. Shake the pan often to prevent the potatoes from burning. Add a little butter as needed.
- Turn the rosti: Place a plate over the skillet and turn everything over quickly, holding the plate with the other hand. Slide the potato cake back into the skillet and brown on the second side. Transfer to a warm platter.
- Cook the halved bacon slices in the skillet or oven, as desired.
- Fry the eggs in the rosti pan; season with salt and pepper.
- Place 4 half slices of bacon and one egg on each quarter of the rosti. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Source: Adapted from Aargauischer Landfrauenverband ALFV / Fona Verlag
Hints & Tips