Preparation time: Overnight
Cooking time: 20 minutes + frying the next day
Arancini, fried breaded rice balls, are a Sicilian specialty. In this version they are filled with St. Nectaire cheese - delicious!
The day before
- Prepare the rice. Sauté a chopped shallot in olive oil. Add the rice and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the hot broth and cook for 14-15 minutes, until the liquid has been almost all absorbed.
- Add 75 g St. Nectaire in pieces, the butter and peas. Stir the mixture over the heat for 2 minutes. Set aside in a cold place.
The next day
- Form the rice mixture into about 20 balls.
- Flatten them slightly in your hand and put a cube of St. Nectaire cheese on top. Bring up the edges to enclose the cheese and form into a ball.
- Beat and season the eggs. Coat the balls in the egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- Fry the arancini in hot oil, cooking them in several batches, until nicely browned, about 4 minutes per batch.
Serve the arancini hot, while the cheese is still runny.
Photo : ID 29536471 / marialapina / MSCOMM
Hints & Tips