Seared Scallops with Sea Urchin and Jerusalem Artichoke Recipe
Flavors of Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
For 6 servings
- 6 large giant scallops
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) sea urchins
- 1 celery stalk
- scallop beards
- 1 onion
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
White wine pastry
- 50 g (2 oz.) flour
- 240 ml (1 cup) white wine
- 1 g (1/4 tsp.) salt
- 1 g (1/4 tsp.) squid ink
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) Jerusalem artichokes
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) baby spinach
Jerusalem artichoke foam
- 250 g (9 oz.) Jerusalem artichokes purée
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) milk from cooking the Jerusalem artichokes
- 125 g (1/2 cup) liquid cream
- 70 g (5 Tbsp.) browned butter
- 30 g (1 oz.) sea urchin coral
- 3 g (1/2 tsp.) agar agar
- salt to taste
- 1 gas cartridge
Sea urchin jelly
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) sea urchin juice
- 3 g (1/2 tsp.) agar agar
- 500 ml (2 cups) stock
- 150 ml (10 Tbsp.) liquid cream
- 30 g (2 Tbsp.) butter
- juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 10 g (2 tsp.) Jerusalem artichoke purée
- Open the scallops and place the nuggets in cold water for a few minutes.
- Reserve the beards.
Make the stock
- Sweat the scallop beards until colored, add the aromatic garnish.
- Deglaze with the white wine, reduce by half and add the water.
- Cook for 20 minutes; strain and set aside.
Make the Jerusalem artichoke purée
- Cook 400 g (14 oz.) Jerusalem artichokes in just enough milk to cover.
- Once cooked, drain, reserving the liquid.
- Purée in a thermomix or blender until smooth.
Prepare the sea urchins and broth
- Open the sea urchins, reserving the juice, coral and tongues.
- Crush the shells, brown them and add enough water to cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
Making the white wine pastry.
- Combine the flour, white wine, salt and squid ink to make a firm dough.
- Roll out to a thickness of 1 mm.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and fold the first part over the second.
- Cut the pastry using a 4 cm round cutter.
- Fry in 180° C (350° F) oil.
Prepare the garnish
- Sweat the spinach, drain and set aside.
- Cut the Jerusalem artichokes into 2 cm thick pieces. Hollow out the centre using a melon baller or Parisian scoop so that they can be stuffed.
- Cook the Jerusalem artichokes in boiling water with a pinch of salt.
Make the sauce
- Reduce the stock and cream by half.
- Add the lemon juice, Jerusalem artichoke purée and butter.
Make the foam
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; strain.
- Place in a soda siphon and charge with a gas cartridge.
Make the sea urchin jelly
- Bring 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) of sea urchin broth to a boil with the agar agar.
- Pour the mixture into a stainless steel baking sheet to obtain a 2 mm thick jelly.
- Unmold, cut into 4 cm squares and set aside.
Sear the scallops
- Hollow out the white wine pastries and fill them with the siphon mixture.
- Glaze the Jerusalem artichoke pieces, stuff them with spinach and arrange.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips