Shepherd’s pie with two cheeses Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For creamier mashed potatoes, cook the potatoes in milk with thyme, bay leaf and garlic. Use the milk to prepare the mashed potatoes.
For 6 servings
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 2 tbsp. crème fraîche or 35% cream
- 80 g (3 oz.) grated Gruyère
- 150 g (5 oz.) grated Cantal or mozzarella
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) butter, cut into pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 800 g ground beef
- 3 tbsp. Bolognese sauce or tomato sauce
- Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Fine bread crumbs
- Cook the potatoes in salted water, then put through a food mill or ricer.
- Add the milk, cream, 60 g of grated Gruyère, the Cantal and butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Sauté the onions in oil.
- Add the ground meat. Cook for 15 minutes, breaking it up with a fork.
- Add the Bolognese sauce, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Put the meat into a buttered baking dish; cover with mashed potato.
- Sprinkle with the remaining grated Gruyère and bread crumbs. Dot the top with butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is browned. Serve hot.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2021. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips