Prep. time: 15 minutes
Oven temperature: 180° C (350° F)
Baking time: 30 minutes
This spectacular Moroccan pastry is actually a roll of phyllo pastry that is wound up to look like a coiled snake. Filled with almond paste and flavored with orange flower water, it’s a pure delight.
Making the almond paste
- in a bowl, combine all the almond paste ingredients to make a smooth creamy paste;
- divide into 10 small balls; freeze for 10 minutes;
- roll each ball into a small sausage about 10 cm (4”) long; freeze again.
Making the pastry
- place two sheets of phyllo pastry on a work surface, folding them to form a 10 x 50 cm (4 x 20”) rectangle; brush with hot melted butter; cover with two more sheets of pastry and brush again with butter;
- place 5 almond paste “sausages” on the edge of the pastry nearest you; roll the pastry up tightly, sealing the ends;
- repeat the process with the remaining 4 sheets of phyllo and 5 almond paste “sausages”;
- coil up each of the rolls into a large spiral;
- place on a buttered floured baking sheet; brush with the egg yolk, beaten with a few drops of water and half of the cinnamon;
- bake in a preheated 180° C (350° F) oven for 20 minutes or until golden; gently turn over onto another buttered baking sheet and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes or until the other side is nicely browned;
- remove from the oven and let cool; sprinkle with icing sugar and the remaining cinnamon and serve.
Hints & Tips