Preheat the oven to 220° C / 425° F
Prep. time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 + 50 minutes
If you're using fresh pumpkin, choose a sweet variety with a low water content. If you opt for canned pumpkin, look for "pure" pumpkin rather than pie filling.
Your pie will be more successful if you start out with all the ingredients at room temperature.
- *If you're using fresh pumpkin, cook the peeled pumpkin flesh with 4 tbsp. water in a covered saucepan over low heat for 20 minutes or until reduced to a purée - you will need about 1 liter (4 cups) cubed pumpkin to make 500 ml (2 cups) purée;
- uncover and continue cooking until all the liquid has evaporated;
- to the pumpkin, add the brown sugar, spices, cream and the eggs beaten together with the milk;
- roll out the pastry and line a deep pie plate; prick the bottom with a fork; pour in the pumpkin mixture; bake in a preheated 220° C (425° F) oven for about 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180° C (350° C) and continue baking for about 40 minutes or until the tip of a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream flavored with vanilla.
Hints & Tips