Strawberry and Basil Tart Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time:: 20 - 25 minutes
For 4-6 servings
- 600 g (1 1/3 lb.) strawberries
- 300 g (10 oz.) short pastry
- 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) olive oil
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 80 g (3 oz.) powdered sugar
- a few drops of balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Lightly oil a 24 cm (10") tart pan.
- Roll the pastry out to a thickness of 3 mm (1/8") and lay it in the pan. Even out the border and prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Cover with a sheet of parchment and fill with dried beans to weight it.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash the strawberries, drain and hull. Set aside 450 g (1 lb.) and quarter the rest.
- Combine the sugar and juice of half a lemon in a saucepan. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, then add the quartered strawberries and the halved, scraped vanilla bean.
- Cook for about 5 minutes over low heat, stirring regularly, until the strawberries are cooked in the syrup. Remove the vanilla bean and let the mixture cool to lukewarm.
- Remove the pastry base from the oven and remove the parchment and beans. Cool. then unmold the pastry onto a plate and spread the cooked strawberries over the crust.
- Halve the reserved strawberries and place them, cut side up, on the tart.
- Drizzle with olive oil combined with a few drops of balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with a few chopped basil leaves.
- Finish with a grinding of pepper and serve.
More recipe ideas
In collaboration with Jean-Paul Boyer / CEDUS
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips