Fraisier, French Strawberry Torte Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: Under 30 minutes
Difficulty: Requires a certain dexterity
For 8 servings
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 + 25 g (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp.) sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 50 g (1/2 cup) flour
- 50 g (1/2 cup) almonds, ground to a powder
- 10 g (2 tsp.) butter
- 250 g (1 cup) milk
- 125 g (10 tbsp.) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 35 g (1/3 cup) flour
- 60 g + 65 g (1/4 + 1/4 cup) butter
- 20 g (4 tsp.) kirsch
- 250 ml (1 cup) simple syrup at 30° density (sugar and water)
- 60 g (2 oz.) kirsch
- Beat the egg and the yolks with 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar until light and pale.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks with 25 g (2 tbsp.) sugar; fold into the yolk mixture; fold in the flour sifted together with the almond powder, then the melted butter.
- 3Pour onto a buttered baking sheet and bake in a 180-200° C (350-400° F) oven until lightly browned.
- Combine the simple syrup with the kirsch.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan;
- whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until light and pale;
- blend in the flour; gradually whisk in the hot milk;
- pour everything back into the saucepan; heat, whisking constantly, until thickened; remove from the heat just before the mixture reaches the boiling point;
- whisk 60 g (1/4 cup) butter into the hot mixture. Let cool
- Whisk in the remaining 65 g (1/4 cup) butter and add the kirsch.
- In a cake ring 6 cm (2 1/2”) high, place a disk of the sponge cake soaked with kirsch syrup.
- Arrange a layer of strawberries on top of the sponge, top with a layer of mousseline cream and place in the refrigerator to set.
- Remove the ring and decorate the strawberry torte as desired: with almond paste, fresh strawberries, strawberry jelly, etc.
More recipe ideas
Photo : dr Oetker. Try dr Oetker strawberry Futtina if you want to make your own strawberry jam or jelly.
Hints & Tips