Prep. time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes (strawberry purée) + 30 minutes (cupcakes);
STRAWBERRY PUREE (for cupcakes):
- Place strawberries and sugar into medium saucepan over high heat.
- Mash strawberries as they begin to soften.
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to a simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until reduced by half. Stir frequently and watch closely to avoid burning. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F. Line muffin tin(s) with liners.
- In large bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt; mix to combine.
- Cream the butter.
- Add in the sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, beating in between each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating each addition.
- Add vanilla and strawberry puree. Mix completely to combine.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, filling each muffin cup to ¾ full. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; let cool completely.
- Cream butter until pale yellow.
- Add in the marshmallow cream and vanilla and continue mixing.
- With mixer on low, add the powdered sugar one spoonful at a time.
- Take cooled cupcakes out of muffin tin.
- Fill piping bag with buttercream. For piping the ghosts, use a large round tip.
- Pipe each cupcake with buttercream to create “ghost.” Pipe a large dollop onto the cupcake, followed by a medium dollop, and then a small dollop with a twist to form the ghost.
- With tweezers or fingers, gently place the sugar pearls on each ghost for the eyes.
- Store in cool dry place.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 99mg | Sugar: 45g.
Hints & Tips