Strawberry or Raspberry Shortcakes Recipe
Total time: 15 to 30 minutesPreparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3 + 1 tbsp. sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cold butter, in pieces
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp. light cream (15%) or milk + more for glaze
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh strawberries (Strawberry)
- 2 + 1 tbsp. sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and 3 tbsp. sugar in a bowl. With your fingertips or a pastry cutter, blend in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Lightly beat the egg. Add the cream or milk. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until combined into a fairly stiff dough.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a 25 mm (1”) thickness. Using a 75 mm (3”) round cutter, cut out 6 discs. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with a little milk. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp. sugar.
- Bake in a 210° C (425° F) oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool the shortcakes on a rack.
- While the shortcakes are baking, gently combine the raspberries with 2 tbsp. sugar and set aside to macerate.
- Whip the cream in a chilled bowl with the remaining 1 tbsp. sugar and the vanilla until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.
- To serve, split each shortcake in half horizontally. Top with some of the berries and a spoonful of whipped cream. Replace the tops and serve.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips