Sea Salt and Rosemary Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
Total time: 15 to 30 minutes
Preparation and cooking time: less than 30 minutes
For 6-8 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes with skins on, scrubbed clean
- 1 tbsp. sea salt fine or coarse to taste
- 1 tsp. very finely minced fresh rosemary
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a small bowl, mix together the sea salt and rosemary Set aside.
- Pour enough oil into a large saucepan to reach a depth of 2,5 cm / 1 inch. Set the pan over medium heat and heat the oil to 180 °C / 350 °F. Test the oil by dropping in a sliver of sweet potato. It should sizzle immediately.
- Using a mandoline or a sharp chef's knife, slice the potatoes crosswise into very thin rounds.
- Carefully drop a handful of potato slices into the hot oil. Use a skimmer or large slotted spoon to turn the potato slices frequently, and fry them for about 2 minutes, or just until they are golden brown. Carefully but quickly remove them from the oil to a large paper-towel-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Continue to fry the sweet potatoes in batches until you have fried them all. Let the chips cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle some of the rosemary salt over the chips and place the chips in a decorative bowl or napkin-lined basket. Serve the chips at room temperature.
- Do ahead: The chips may can be fried and salted several hours in advance and kept, uncovered (very important), at room temperature.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips