Preheat oven at 180°C / 350°F
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 + 45 minutes
Get ahead of the kitchen chaos. You can make the purée a day in advance and simply cook it with the praliné 45 minutes before serving.
For a festive touch, pipe or spoon puree into orange shells.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until you can pierce them easily with the tip of a knife. Drain and mash coarsely.
- Add the orange juice, maple syrup, 3 tbsp. butter, rum, salt, pepper and nutmeg to the sweet potatoes and combine.
- Place into a buttered baking dish and smooth the top.
- Combine the brown sugar, 6 tbsp. melted butter and pecans in a small bowl. Sprinkle the praline topping over the sweet potato mixture. Place into a preheated 350° F (180° C) oven for about 45 minutes until very hot and lightly browned.
Hints & Tips