- pink ling - the head and body are pinkish or orangish in color, with irregular brown markings. The fish can reach 1.5 meters in length and weigh up to 20 kg. They live in deep water.
- rock ling - found closer to the coast, near underwater caves up to 60 meters deep. It can reach 1 meter and weigh up to 9 kg.
Fished from the Gulf of Gascony in the Arctic and in the Mediterranean.
Very firm flesh.
Buying and storing
- pink ling is more prized because it is practically boneless. Choose white, firm, moist flesh that separates into wide bands. The flesh of the rock ling is softer.
- you can keep the fillets wrapped in plastic in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- check the fillets for bones before cooking them.
- easy to pan-fry, grill, barbecue or cook in a casserole, ling loves dill, mint, tarragon and Creole or Cajun spices.
can be cooked like monkfish
Olivier Roellinger advises quickly steaming the fillets. Serve them with a drizzle of wine vinegar, sprinkled with herbs, with new potatoes and whole shallots, roasted in the oven or cooked in salted butter.
Hints & Tips