Oven temperature: 180°C / 350°F
Prep. time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: Under an hour
An original idea from the Sydney Fish Market and the Australian Fishsellers Association
- Heat the oil in a skillet; sear the fish fillets for one minute on each side; transfer to paper towel; cut into 3 cm (1 1/4") pieces;
- cook the rice in the usual way;
- wash the spinach, removing the larger stems; tear the leaves up coarsely and steam for a few minutes;
- prepare the roux: melt the butter in a saucepan, remove from the heat and add the flour; whisk well; add the milk and stock, whisking constantly; return to the heat; cook until the sauce thickens, still stirring constantly; remove from the heat and gently blend in the mustard, parsley and fish.
- spread the rice out in a casserole; cover with the spinach; top with the fish and the sauce;
- in a small bowl, combine the 3 ingredients for the topping: bread crumbs, butter and cheese; spread over the fish mixture;
- bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
To stay with the Australian theme, we suggest a Lone Gum unoaked chardonnay, a wine with body but no woodiness, with tropical fruit and melon flavors and a slightly acidic finish.
Hints & Tips