Its leaf resembles the oak leaf
Oak leaf lettuce is a type of butter lettuce. Its 10-15 cm long leaves are lobed.
Oak leaf lettuce has developed a complex. It is bought for its colourful borders, of red and autumn shades, to be used as a garnish. Oh dear, it cries, am I destined to languish forever on the edge of a plate? I was born in 1880. My texture and flavour are perfect for accompanying delicate flavours and allowing them to star. I can even be cooked or stuffed, separated into leaves or served as hearts.
Nutritional values per 100 g
Rich in Vitamins A, B, C, D, E and minerals.
Buying Oak Leaf Lettuce
The lettuce should be deeply coloured and form a head. The leaves should be curly, crisp and firm.
Oak leaf lettuce does not keep for a long time (2-3 days). It must be stored in the vegetable crisper of the refrigerator or in a cool, dark place.
Wash oak leaf lettuce thoroughly but quickly so that it retains its nutrients. If your lettuce is looking wilted, dip it into warm water and then rinse it under cold water to give it new life.
- This lettuce goes well with any vinaigrette.
- Place a piece of grilled salmon on oak leaf lettuce, sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Lay some peach slices on top, sprinkle with oil and honey.
- Spoon some rémoulade sauce over oak leaf and top with sautéed scallops.
- Sprinkle with walnut oil and walnuts which have been finely chopped in the food processor.
- Dress it up: Place a nice slice of duck liver which has been cooked in a terrine or a cloth over oak leaf lettuce with ceps in oil, raisins, pinenuts, and chives. Dress with walnut oil and sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.
When oak leaf lettuce heats up…
Try braised oak leaf with marrow - Braise the leaves in beef stock. Drain. Poach the marrow in the same stock. Reduce and add some demi-glaze if you wish Swirl in some butter, slice the marrow and arrange it on the lettuce. Nap with the sauce and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Stuffed - Blanch the leaves in boiling water for 4 minutes. Refresh in cold water. Dry in a salad spinner or a kitchen towel. Stuff with mushroom duxelles. Braise in broth. Garnish with toasted bread rounds and serve as a first course or as an accompaniment to a roast.
Landes region - On oak leaf lettuce leaves, place pieces of cooked potato, sliced tomatoes, the sliced leg meat from a duck confit, the breast rolled in thin slices and diced foie gras. Garnish with pinenuts and serve cold with a rustic bread and vinaigrette.
Hints & Tips