American-Style Pancakes Recipe
Total time: 15 to 30 minutes
Prep. time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: A few minutes
American-style pancakes are served very hot with maple syrup and a knob of butter. Depending on the region, a few drops of vanilla may be added.
Note: American pancakes are much thicker than French crêpes, and drier than Canadian pancakes.
- 500 ml (2 cups) flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 65 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt (very important)
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl; add in the liquid ingredients and stir; do not whisk the mixture;
- oil a large cast iron skillet or crêpe pan; heat it; off the heat, pour in half a ladle of the batter, immediately tilting the pan with your other hand to spread the batter evenly;
- return to the heat and cook; once the edges begin to colour and you see small bubbles appearing all over the surface, flip the pancake;
- cook for a few moments on the other side and slide onto a plate. Keep warm until all the pancakes are cooked.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2023. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips