Apple Tart on an Almond Paste Base Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Oven temperature: 180° C (350° F)
- 200 g (7 oz.) pie pastry (pâte brisée)
- 6 large red apples
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 125 g (4 oz.) whole shelled almonds
- 70 g (6 tbsp.) fine granulated sugar
- 70 g (10 tbsp.) icing sugar
- A few drops of bitter almond extract
- 1 egg yolk (or 1 whole egg )
Making the almond paste
- Using an electric chopper, grind the almonds to a fine powder.
- Add the granulated sugar, icing sugar, almond extract and egg yolk. Blend again to form a smooth mixture. Set aside.
Making the tart
- Peel the apples; halve, core, seed and slice them.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, or melt in a microwave.
- Roll out the pie pastry and line a deep pie or tart pan.
- Weight the crust with dried beans and bake at 180° C (350° F) for ten minutes.
- Remove from the oven; remove the beans; spread the almond paste in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Dip the apples in butter and arrange them on top of the almond paste, beginning at the perimeter and finishing in the center to form a rosette pattern.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips