Autumn Gratin with grain "Tatin" style Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
You can add some diced apple or pear to the vegetables while cooking.
The grain mixture can be replaced with:
- precooked grains
- couscous or bulgur
- cooked short-grain rice
- or simply some breadcrumbs mixed with a little butter
For 4 servings
- 50 g (3 Tbsp.) butter
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 turnips (250 g / 8 oz.)
- 3 carrots (300 g / 10 oz.)
- 1/3 fennel bulb (100 g / 3 1/2 oz.)
- 1 package of mixed grains (see chef's note)
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- Peel and quarter the turnips, peel and slice the carrots and thinly slice the fennel.
- Place the vegetables in a sauté pan, dot with the butter and add the honey and salt.
- Pour in enough boiling water just to reach the top of the vegetables.
- Cook over moderate heat, partially covered to let some of the steam escape.
- When all the water has evaporated, let the vegetables caramelize, stirring constantly.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Combine the grains in the milk as indicated.*
- Oil or butter ramekins or individuals dishes. Place a layer of vegetables in the bottom of each. Cover with the grains and bake for 25 minutes.
- Unmold and serve hot as a side to duck breast or white meat.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2023. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips