Cooking time: 15 minutes
These Middle Eastern inspired beef kabobs are a delectable treat for summer BBQs and parties. The refreshing avocado tzatziki adds a hint of tang to the spicy meatballs, which can also be used as a healthy dip for fresh veggies as guests arrive. Avocados are available year-round, so this is a go-to recipe that can be enjoyed throughout the seasons.
Use this tzatziki sauce on your favorite shish kebabs, including chicken, pork, lamb or shrimp. It also makes an excellent and healthy replacement for sour cream on potatoes.
If using bamboo skewers, ensure to soak them in water for approximately half an hour prior skewering the meatballs and placing them on the grill, otherwise they can burn.
- In a medium bowl, combine all avocado tzatziki ingredients. Chill until ready to serve.
- Combine beef, oregano, chili flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, cumin, black pepper, bread crumbs and egg, taking care not to overwork the meat.
- Roll mixture into 18 (golf sized) meat balls.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- As oven is heating, skewer meat balls (3 per skewer).
- In large pan over medium-high heat, sear kebabs for 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and bake in oven for 10 to 13 minutes or until internal temperature registers at 85°C / 180°F.
- Alternately, preheat barbecue to 200°C / 400°F and grill kebabs for 10 to 15 minutes turning frequently.
- Place 1 kebab in centre of each pita and remove skewers. Divide tzatziki evenly among pitas.
Photo and collaboration: Avocado from Mexico
Hints & Tips